Montag, 1. Mai 2017

18th century dress: making a bergère hat (Part 5)

Part 1: Chemise à la Reine: Inspiration
Part 2: 1780s stays
Part 3: Change of plans + the pockets
Part 4: The undergarments

This post will be about making a bergère hat. These were very popular in the mid-18th century and should give women a more romantic and simple look, that contrasted with the highly-decorated and "overcharged" headpieces of the times.
As my hair is quite short at the moment it would be impossible to create an appropriate rococo-hairstyle, so I decided to make this bergère hat, to hide my hair under it.
In diesem Post werde ich beschreiben, wie ich einen Bergère-Hut gemacht habe, den ich zusammen mit meinem Polonaise-Kleid tragen möchte. Da mein Haar zudem gerade sehr kurz ist, ist dies eine gute Möglichkeit, mein Haar zu verstecken.

When going to Ikea, I bought a bunch of table maps, that I wanted to turn into a hat. Actually, I only needed one map, but I wanted to be safe, so I bought more.
Als ich zu Ikea gefahren bin, habe ich diese naturfarbenen Tischsets aus Stroh gekauft- gleich mehrere davon, um sicher zu gehen.

These tutorials were very helpful: 
http://gewaendertruhe-louise.blogspot.de/2010/01/bergere-oder-wie-bastel-ich-mir-einen.html
http://flouncedlucia.blogspot.de/2013/09/1775-85-rokoko-open-gown-im-floralen_19.html

The table maps I bought were made of straw, so I'm not sure of how this will work when you're using plastic. 
Wie schon gesagt, sind meine Tischsets aus Stroh angefertigt worden, und nicht aus Plastik!

What I did, was putting the map in a tub with hot water. Then I took a bowl that had the same diameter as I wanted the crown of the hat to have.
So I just put the straw map over the bowl and attached it with an elastic band, so that it would stay in this position. Then I let it dry.
Was ich gemacht habe, um die gewünschte Form zu bekommen, ist, das Set in heißes Wasser zu tauchen, wodurch das Material ganz weich und formbar wurde. Dann habe ich das Set mittig auf die Öffnung einer Müslischale gelegt, passend geformt und dann zum Trocknen mit einem Gummiband befestigt.


So this is what I'd have:

Then I sewed a band to the inside of the hat, which gave it more stabily. Also that was something that I had seen in a lot of hats, so I thought this would look more professional, hehe. But sewing through the straw was surprisingly easy! 
Dann habe ich ein Band (anscheinend nennt man dies auch "Schweißband") auf die Innenseite des Huts genäht um dem mehr Festigkeit zu geben. Außerdem dachte ich mir, dass der Hut somit sauberer und professioneller aussieht.

Then I took some lead tape that I sewed to the interior of the crown, as I thought the weight of it would make it easier to wear. But now I'm not so sure if lead tape is actually the best material to use...
Anschließend habe ich Bleiband, das man normalerweise für Gardinen benutzen würde, an die Hutkrone genäht, da der Hut mit dem Gewicht besser auf dem Kopf sitzt und nicht bei jedem kleinsten Winstoß weggeweht wird.


Then I sewed a satin band to the inside of the hat.
Dann habe ich auch noch ein Satinband angenäht, um den Hut somit am Kopf befestigen zu können.


At the end I went on decorating the brim. I used the same fabrics the dress is made of.
Am Ende ging es dann um das Dekorieren. Genutzt habe ich dafür die selben Stoffe, aus denen mein Kleid auch besteht.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen